Papers of E.A. Greening Lamborn
Papers of E.A. Greening Lamborn, and manuscripts from his collection, consisting of:
- Letters to and from Lamborn, 1917-1949
- Ordinary of arms in churches in Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, compiled by Lamborn, early 20th century
- Notebook containing extracts by Lamborn from books and letters read, 1899
- Album of photographs, mainly of churches and sculpture in the Oxford region, 1920s, with a portrait photograph of Lamborn
- Pocket-books containing brief notes by Lamborn on churches in Berkshire and Buckinghamshire, 20th century
- Commonplace book of a member of the Ayscough family, 18th century
- Seventeenth-century church notes for parishes in Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire, copied by Craven Ord (1756-1832)
- Rough sketches and notes of James Ingram, 1838, n.d.
- Lectures on heraldry by Norris Deck, 1849, 1852
- Recipe book of Mary Waddell of Littlemore, Oxfordshire, 1850
- Notebook containing extracts by W. Ballard, mainly from printed sources, on Oxfordshire and Berkshire parishes, mid-19th century
- Notebook containing copies of recitations and songs, 19th century
- Guide to Buckinghamshire by Robert Dodwell, entitled 'Buckingham. The Pocket County Companion', late 19th century, apparently unpublished
- 18th-20th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. c. 312].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. c. 312, c. 331, d. 434, e. 368-369, f. 91; Top. Berks. g. 1; Top. Bucks. c. 15, g. 1; Top. eccles. b. 42; Top. gen. d. 32, e. 73-75; Top. Oxon. d. 457
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8222, 8223, 8225, 8229, 8230, 8231, 8314
Biographical / Historical
Edmund Arnold Greening Lamborn (1877-1950) was an antiquary. Details are given in Who Was Who.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 43765-79.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library by Lamborn's daughter in 1950.
- 18th century
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Ballard | W | fl. 1830-1870
- Berkshire (England)
- Buckinghamshire (England)
- Church buildings -- England -- Berkshire
- Church buildings -- England -- Buckinghamshire
- Church buildings -- England -- Oxfordshire
- Deck | Norris | fl. 1843-1866 | Antiquary
- Dodwell | Robert | fl. 1860-1899 | of Littlemore, Oxfordshire
- Ingram | James | 1774-1850 | Anglo Saxon Scholar, Antiquary, and Archaeologist
- Lamborn | Edmund Arnold Greening | 1877-1950 | Antiquary
- Ord | Craven | 1756-1832 | Antiquary
- Oxfordshire (England)
- Waddell | Mary | fl. 1850 | of Littlemore, Oxfordshire
- Papers of E.A. Greening Lamborn
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description
- Script of description