Manuscripts Written and Illuminated by William Morris
Manuscripts written and illuminated by William Morris, consisting of:
- Manuscripts of 'The story of the dwellers at Eyr', incomplete
- Fragments of 'Ogier the Dane', The Arabian nights, and 'The story of Harold Hairfair'
- Manuscript of 'The story of Hen Thorir'
- Manuscript of 'The story of the banded men'
- Manuscript of chapters 1-35 of 'The story of the Volsungs and the Niblungs'
- Fragments of 'The story of Gunnlaug the Work-tongue and Raven the Skald'
- Manuscript of 'Hafbur and Signy'
- Drafts of chapters 1-2 of 'The story of the Volungs and the Niblungs'
- The odes of Horace
- [c. 1870-1876]
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. c. 265].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. c. 265, d. 265-268, e. 233/1-2, g. 59; Lat. class. e. 38
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13245
Biographical / Historical
William Morris (1834-1896) was a poet, artist and socialist. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 43700-708.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The manuscripts were given to the Library in 1939.
- Manuscripts Written and Illuminated by William Morris
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description
- Script of description