Heraldic manuscripts, consisting of:
- A 17th-century transcript of 'The manner of proceedings in a case of arms betweene John Lord Louell and Thomas Lord Morleys before the Constable and Marshall. Anno 1395 [recte 1385]', with notes by Barnard and a pedigree compiled by Sir Charles G. Young
- Translation of Nicholas Upton, 'De studio militari', made by John Blount 'studens in the vniuersite of Oxforthe' at the command of William Blount, 4th Baron Mountjoy. Copied, and illustrated with emblazoned coats of arms, by two mid-16th-century scribes, and annotated from the Latin original and paginated in a third 16th-century hand
- Transcripts, mainly in Barnard's hand, of English works on heraldry, with glossaries
- Draft of 'A discourse upon cadency' by James Cotes, 18th century, incomplete at end, with an index in a different hand
- 'The general armory of the Netherlands', compiled from manuscripts in the British Museum by William Dickinson for Thomas Culleton, Esq., 19th century
- 16th-19th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. c. 152].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. c. 152, c. 158, d. 227-228, e. 199
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13014
Biographical / Historical
Francis Pierrepont Barnard (1854-1931) was an archaeologist, historian and numismatist. Details are given in Who Was Who.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 43611-15.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The manuscripts were bequeathed to the Library, with two medieval manuscripts, MSS. Lat. misc. e. 86 and Lat. th. e. 19, by F.P. Barnard in 1931.
- 16th century
- 17th century
- 18th century
- 19th century
- Barnard | Francis Pierrepont | 1854-1931 | Archaeologist, Historian, and Numismatist
- Blount | John | fl 1511 | Fellow of All Souls, Oxford
- Cotes | James | fl 1700-1799
- Dickinson | William | fl 1800-1899
- Lovel | John | d 1408 | Lord Lovel
- Morley | Thomas | d 1416 | Lord Morley
- Upton | Nicholas | ? 1400-1457
- Young | Charles George | 1795-1869 | Sir | Knight and Herald
- Heraldic Manuscripts
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description
- Script of description