Draft chapters, notes and collections by Sir George Buc
Draft chapters, notes and collections by Sir George Buc, c.1613, apparently for his work 'The baron, or the magazine of honor' (see DNB), including:
- (fols. 92-105) 'Certayne remembrances touchinge the two great offices of the Seneschallshe or high Stewardshipp[e] of England and of the Queens howse', not in Buc's hand.
With several contemporary papers relating to the Elizabethan navy, including:
- (fols. 91, 155) lists of the Queen's fleet, 1597 and 1588 (with additions to 1596);
- (fol. 150) numbers of masters of ships, mariners and fishermen in England, by county, 1583;
- (fols. 153-4) Admiralty account of the expenses of building the Ark Ralegh (later Ark Royal), with a report on the ship, signed by Charles Howard, Lord High Admiral, and others, May 1587;
- (fol. 157) list of items taken on board ship 'when I was going to sea', April 1597.
The text begins at fol. 32 of a contemporary foliation.
- Creation: c.1613
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Arch. Selden. B. 66, fols. 1-2]
MS. Arch. Selden. B. 66
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 17486
Draft chapters, notes and collections by Sir George Buc, c.1613, apparently for his work 'The baron, or the magazine of honor'.
Biographical / Historical
Sir George Buck [Buc] (bap. 1560-1622) was an English historian and master of the revels.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, no. 52545.
Inscribed in a 17th-cent. hand (fol. 1) 'Collections of Mr. Selden's ... relating chiefly to the Great offices and officers of ye Kingdom'; gilt arms of Henry Pelham-Clinton, 4th Duke of Newcastle, on each cover.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought, Sotheby's, 14 Feb. 1938 (Clumber Park sale), lot 1101.
Bound by H. Stamper in brown morocco, 19th century
- Draft chapters, notes and collections by Sir George Buc
- EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description