Papers of the Morton, Dorville and Gorham Families
Papers of the Morton, Dorville and Gorham families, including journals and diaries, correspondence, accounts, catalogues of books, notebooks, and wills and settlements, including:
- Journal by Joseph Morton of voyages to Holland, 1789, and Denmark, 1791
- Catalogues of the libraries of J.P. D'Orville, late 18th cent., and George and Elizabeth Dorville, early 19th cent.
- Diary of Anne Dorville, 1825-1837
- Diaries of Mrs H.S. Gorham (Clara Dorville Morton), 1886-1907
- 18th-20th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. b. 303].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. b. 303-10, c. 729, d. 350-352, e. 363-367, e. 398, e. 1197-1199, f. 651, g. 18-58, g. 231; Eng. hist. e. 213; Eng. lett. d. 142, e. 195; Eng. th. d. 40, d. 42; Top. gen. c. 113
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8057, 8080
Biographical / Historical
Morton, Dorville and Gorham families.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 43145-214.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1953 and 1955.
- 18th century
- 19th century
- 20th century
- D'Orville | Jacques Philippe | 1696-1751 | Classical Scholar
- Diaries -- 18th century
- Diaries -- 19th century
- Dorville | Anne | b 1755
- Dorville | Elizabeth | fl 1800-1899 | of Hammersmith
- Dorville | family
- Gorham | Clara Dorville Morton | 1886-1907
- Gorham | family
- Library catalogues
- Morton | Joseph | fl 1789-1791
- Morton | family
- Papers of the Morton, Dorville and Gorham Families
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description