Woodforde Family Papers
Papers of the Woodforde family, consisting of:
- Papers of Samuel Woodford, 1662-1695, including his diary, 1663-1665
- Papers of Robert Woodforde, 1697-1791, including interleaved and annotated volumes of a printed Bible and The book of common prayer (London, 1683); and a notebook containing a catalogue of books, with prices, in Robert Woodforde's hand and copies by Anna Maria Woodforde of letters from her to members of her family, 1780-1791
- Papers of James Woodforde, 1758-1826, including diaries, 1758-1802; and sermons, 1764-1826
- Papers of Anna Maria Woodforde, 1800-1830, including accounts, 1807-1819; collections of verse; and an inventory of her goods, 1830
- Miscellaneous papers of the Woodforde family, 1733-19th century
- 17th-19th century
Language of Materials
English, Latin, and Greek
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. b. 76].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. b. 76, d. 600, e. 333, e. 465-470, e. 555, f. 101-173, f. 381-382, f. 396; Eng. poet. e. 98; Eng. th. c. 67-68, d. 45-47, e. 55, e. 65-100, e. 153; Lat. liturg. d. 39
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8972
Biographical / Historical
The Woodforde family includes Samuel Woodford (1636-1700), Canon of Winchester, poet and divine; Robert Woodforde (1675-1762); James Woodforde (1740-1803), clergyman and diarist; and Anna Maria Woodforde (1757-1830). Details for Samuel and James are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 42715-845.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were acquired by the Library, 1950-1963.
- Extensive selections from the diary of James Woodforde were printed in The diary of a country parson, ed. James Beresford (5 vols., London, 1924-31), and Woodforde at Oxford 1759-1776, ed. W.N. Hargreaves-Mawdsley (Oxford Historical Society, n.s. 21, Oxford, 1969).
- Woodforde Family Papers
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description