Guard-book of letters and literary pieces
MS. Don. c. 56
Guard-book of letters and literary pieces, including:
- (fol. 7) prologue by Thomas Warton for George Colman, The jealous wife, n.d.
- (fols. 17-72) letters from Lady Mary Wortley Montagu to Francesco Algarotti, 1757, n.d.
- (fols. 89-90) sixty four lines by George Crabbe of a poem in the style of Tales of the Hall
- (fols. 114-15) verse by Reginald Heber for the installation of Lord Grenville as Chancellor of Oxford University, 1810
- (fols. 116-20) parts of'Imaginary conversations', a poem 'Idyllium Faesulanum' and other pieces by by W. S. Landor, n.d., Verse in Crum.
- (fol. 121) Letter of John Price, 18th/19th century
- (fols. 123-5) Letter of Thomas John Dibdin, 18th/19th century
- (fols. 126-37) Letters of C. Burney etc.
- 17th-20th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Don. c. 56, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Don. c. 56
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7456, 7736, 7902, 7419, 7418, 8309, 16807
Guard-book of letters and literary pieces, 17th-20th century
Biographical / Historical
Thomas Warton (1728-1790) was an English poet and historian. George Colman the elder (bap. 1732-d. 1794) was an Italian born playwright and theatre manager. Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (bap. 1689-d. 1762) was an English writer. Francesco Algarotti (1712-1764), Count Algarotti in the Prussian nobility, was an Italian poet and scholar. George Crabbe (1754-1832) was an English poet and Church of England clergyman. Thomas John Dibdin (1771-1841) was an English playwright and actor.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by the Friends of the Bodleian, 1936-55.
Half blue morocco
- 17th century
- 18th century
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Algarotti | Francesco | 1712-1764 | Poet and scholar
- Colman | George | bap. 1732-d. 1794 | Playwright and theatre manager
- Crabbe | George | 1754-1832 | Poet
- Dibdin | John | 1771-1841 | Playwright and actor
- Warton | Thomas | 1728-1790 | Poet, antiquary and literary Scholar
- Wortley Montagu | Lady | Mary | bap. 1689-d. 1762 | Writer
- Guard-book of letters and literary pieces
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description