Archive of Philip Cannon
Autograph manuscripts of Philip Cannon's music, which include sketches, drafts and fair copies of scores, with occasional proofs and printed material. Clean copies of published works were transferred to the Bodleian collection of printed music. These can be found via the online catalogue SOLO. Concert posters and programmes now form part of the Bodleian Collection of Concert Programmes. A small amount of correspondence includes many letters related to the commission by HM the Queen of the 'Te Deum', celebrating the 500th anniversary of St George's Chapel, Windsor in 1975. Also included in the archive is ca. 40 cassette tapes with Cannon's music and broadcasts. Further 50 cassette tapes capture Philip Cannon reminiscences.
- 1948-2018, n.d.
10.0 Linear metres (57 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
English, French, Latin and German.
Conditions Governing Access
One folder and one letter are closed. A collection of cassette tapes is currently not available to order.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. b.452].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. 13087/1-5, MS. 13087 Photogr. 1, MSS. Mus. a. 9-14, b. 452-484 and c. 708-715 and [MS.] Tapes 1-4.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13087
Archive of the composer Philip Cannon (1929-2016) containing predominantly his autograph music manuscripts.
Biographical / Historical
Philip Cannon was a British composer and teacher. For details of his life and work see Oxford Music Online.
Items in the archive follow the traditional order for musical works. Within categories, compositions are listed in chronological order.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Philip Cannon, December 2009.
- 20th century
- 21st century
- Cannon | (Jack) Philip | 1929-2016 | composer
- Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices), Accompanied
- Choruses, Secular (Mixed voices), Unaccompanied
- Choruses, Secular (Women's voices), Accompanied
- Choruses, Secular (Women's voices), Unaccompanied
- Composers -- England -- Manuscripts
- Double bass music
- Harp music
- Herbert, George, 1593-1633 -- Musical settings
- Orchestral music
- Organ music
- Part songs, English
- Piano music
- Piano music (4 hands)
- Piano trios
- Quintets (Clarinet, violins (2), viola, cello)
- Raleigh, Walter, 1586-1646 -- Musical settings
- Songs with piano
- String quartets
- String sextets (Violins (2), violas (2), cellos (2))
- Catalogue of the music archive of Philip Cannon (1929-2016)
- Finding aid prepared by Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description