Collection of music used at the church of St Johann Nepomuk in Vienna
A collection of sacred music performed at the church of St Johann Nepomuk in Vienna from the beginning of the 19th to the middle of the 20th century. The music includes works written by classical composers, mainly Joseph Haydn, Michael Haydn and W. A. Mozart. The individual works come in sets of full, vocal or short scores with vocal and instrumental parts, although sometimes the sets are incomplete.
The manuscripts are written by various hands in different dacades, 1830s-1950s. At least three copyists are represented more frequently. Most manuscripts are stamped with an oblong stamp 'Kirchenmusikverein St. Johann Nep., 11 Praterstrasse, Wien' and a few with a round stamp 'Der Prater Strasse, Pfarre St Johann'. The stamp of 'Carl Winkler, Kapelmeister, Wien, IX, Georgsiglgasse 10/6' appears on a few other copies. A handful of printed parts can be found among the manuscripts.
The folders and wrappers, in which the music is held provide short titles and numbers which most likely follow the sequence in the church's music library. On the folders and wrappers are written lists of the parts present with dates of their stock-takings. Occasionally, an ownership inscription appears on the first page, the notable being that of Johann Baptist Ziegler (1823-1878).
A number of scores and parts contain performance markings. Some parts, especially vocal, include dated signatures of the performers.
- Creation: 1810-1961
3.0 Linear metres (26 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. c.666].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Mus. c.666-691
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 15548
A collection of vocal music (mainly in manuscript set of parts) performed at the church of St Johann Nepomuk in Vienna from the beginning of the 19th to the middle of the 20th century.
Biographical / Historical
The history of the parish of St Johann Nepomuk in Vienna began with the veneration of a replica painting of the Madonna von Pötsch, who was credited with many miracles. The original painting is still venerated in St Stephen’s Cathedral. The church of St Johann Nepomuk was built between 1736 and 1737 and consecrated in 1739 as the private and burial chapel of Matthäus Lydl von Schwanau, a Hofkriegsrat (senior war servant) of Prince Eugen von Savoyen. In 1784 it became known as the Johannes Nepomuk Chapel, the parish church of Gersthof. However, in 1899 the chapel lost its parish status to the new Gersthof church which had been built in 1891. The St Johann Nepomuk church was severely damaged during the Second World War, but restored by 1951. The church can boast a rich musical tradition, with early mixed-voice choir having its own library, stocked with manuscript and printed music, which was dispersed as it fell out of use. The present collection suggests that the repertoire was dominated by Classical mass settings.
Compositions are arranged by ascending opus or thematic catalogue numbers for individual composers, followed by titles in alphabetical order.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Oswald Ruttner through Reinhard Strohm, June 2016.
Some printed sets of parts are catalogued individually on the Bodleian online catalogue SOLO.
The majority of items are housed in thick-card marble-paper folders with ties or paper wrappers. They are predominantly in folio or oblong folio sizes, with some items in 8vo.
- Catalogue of the collection of music used at the church of St Johann Nepomuk in Vienna, [1810?]-1961
- Finding aid prepared by Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description