Archive of Hugh Ottaway
The archive consists chiefly of typescripts of Hugh Ottaway's writings: short monographs, articles, reviews, concert programmes, sleeve-notes, talks, lectures and broadcasts. The typescripts are numbered 1-903 and listed in three notebooks. A very small number of rare publications are included. Several contemporary composers are represented more extensively with notes, drafts and proofs. There are also letters from prominent musicians, including many from Edmund Rubbra and Robert Simpson as well as others, William Alwyn, Lennox Berkeley, Benjamin Britten, Alan Bush, Stuart Craggs, Franz Reizenstein, Ursula Vaughan Williams, Andrzej Panufnik, Watkins Shaw, William Walton and David Willcocks. Two albums of vinyl records contain radio programmes, seven of which are devoted to Dmitry Shostakovich.
- 1933-1979, n.d.
5.5 Linear meters (39 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Two albums of vinyl records are currently not available to order.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 7073/1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7073
A collection of Hugh Ottaway's writings on music, including biographies of composers, 1933-1979, n.d.
Biographical / Historical
Hugh Ottaway (1925-1979) was a British writer and lecturer in music. For details of his work and life see Oxford Music Online.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Alan Simpson, December 2012.
13 concert programmes were transferred to the Bodleian collection of concert programmes and can be found in the database of collections of concert programmes held in European libraries, archives and museums at www.concertprogrammes.org.uk.
- 20th century
- Composers -- Correspondence
- Composers -- England -- Biography
- Composers -- Germany -- Biography
- Music -- 20th century -- history and criticism
- Ottaway | Hugh | 1925-1979 | writer on music
- Rubbra | Charles Edmund Duncan | 1901-1986 | pianist and composer
- Simpson | Robert Wilfred Levick | 1921-1997 | composer
- Symphony -- 20th century
- Walton | Sir | William Turner | 1902-1983 | Knight | composer
- Williams | Ralph | Vaughan | 1872-1958 | composer
- Catalogue of the archive of Hugh Ottaway
- Finding aid prepared by Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description