Manuscript copy of Missa Gabriel Archangelus by Giovanni da Palestrina and The lamentations of Jeremiah by Thomas Tallis, most likely transcribed by Henry Needler
MS. Mus. c.706
Manuscript copy of (pp. 1-27) Palestrina's 'Missa Gabriel Archangelus' for Cantus/Altus/Tenor/Bassus choir unaccompanied and (pp. 30-49) Tallis's 'The lamentations of Jeremiah' for Superius/Medius/Altus/Tenor/Bassus choir, also unaccompanied. The source for the latter is a complete set of musical partbooks known as the Sadler partbooks, now held at the Bodleian Libraries (MSS. Mus. e. 1-5). Transcribed in score in the original keys of D (Mass), E and G (parts 1 and 2 of Lamentations respectively), the manuscript appears to have been written by Henry Needler in ca. 1720. Latin words are supplied mainly in black ink, with occasional musical accidentals added subsequently in russet ink. Upper paste-down includes later description in English of the content, together with the epitaph on Palestrina's coffin and performance instruction relating to rhythmic notation.
- ca. 1720
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. c.706].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Mus. c.706
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12765
Manuscript copy of Missa Gabriel Archangelus by Giovanni da Palestrina and The lamentations of Jeremiah
Biographical / Historical
Henry Needler (1685–1760) was an amateur violinist and prolific music copyist. For further details of Needler's life and work see Oxford Music Online.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Blackwell's Rare Books, January 2018.
Contemporary half calf with marbled boards and paper label inscribed in pencil 'Palestrina'. Pages with hand-drawn staves, musical notation and words are numbered 1-27 in ink and [with no p. 28] 29-49 in pencil.
- 18th century
- Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices, 4 parts), Unaccompanied
- Choruses, Sacred (Mixed voices, 5 parts), Unaccompanied
- Composers -- England -- Manuscripts
- Composers -- Italy -- Manuscripts
- Lamentations of Jeremiah (Music)
- Masses, Unaccompanied
- Music -- Manuscripts -- 18th century
- Needler | Henry | 1685-1760 | musician and music transcriber
- Palestrina | Giovanni Pierluigi da | 1525?-1594 | composer
- Tallis | Thomas | c 1505-1585 | musician and composer
- Catalogue of the manuscript copy of 'Missa Gabriel Archangelus' by Giovanni da Palestrina and 'The lamentation of Jeremiah' by Thomas Tallis , ca. 1720
- Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description