Volume of 18th-century Italian and English arias and songs
A manuscript volume containing 15 eighteenth-century Italian and English arias and songs, mostly by G.F. Handel.
With the exception of two items with English words - no. 9 (fols. 12v-15v) - in score for violin I or oboe, violin 2, voice and bass and no. 10 (fols. 16r-19v) - in score for violin, voice and bass, the arias and songs are for voice and continuo. The bass part in items 1-4, 6-8 and 11-13 is unfigured and in items 5 and 14-15 figured.
- (fols. 1v-2r) [G.F. Handel. Il pastor fido (1712)]. Mi lasci mi fuggi (HWV 8a/7)
- (fols. 2v-4r) [G.F. Handel. Il pastor fido (1712, 1734)]. Se in ombre nascosto (HWV 8a/14; 8c/18b)
- (fols. 4v-5r) [G.F. Handel. Il pastor fido (1712)]. Se m’ami o caro (HWV 8a/19)
- (fols. 5v-6r) [G.F. Handel. Teseo]. Amarti io si vorrei (HWV 9/31)
- (fols. 6v-7v) Or voi siete ò Luci vaghe
- (fols. 8v-9r) [?R. Fedeli. Voi che sparse. Excerpt] Pria che la doglia il cor m’accida (see RISM 240001485, 1.24.1)
- (fols. 9v-10r) G.F. Handel. Agrippina]. Col raggio placido (HWV 6/37)
- (fols. 10v-11v) [G.F. Handel. Lucio Cornelio Silla]. Mi brilla nel seno uncerto Seren (HWV 10/13)
- (fols. 12v-15v) [G.F. Handel. Acis and Galatea]. Where shall I seek the charming fair (HWV 49a/5)
- (fols. 16r-19v) [G.F. Handel. Acis and Galatea]. Would you gain the tender creature (HWV 49a/14; 49b/16)
- (fols. 20r-21v) [A. Caldara. Bireno il dì s'appressa]. Tornin poì tranquille è chiare (as in 'Cantata del Signor Antonio Caldara, RISM 850041026)
- (fols. 21v-22v) Aria Romolo. Dolce aspetto
- (fols. 23r-24r) [G.F. Handel. Amadigi di Gaula]. Tu mia speranza (HWV 11/21)
- (fols. 24v-25v) [G.F. Handel. Teseo]. Tengo in pugno (HWV 9/35)
- (fols. 26r-27r) [E. d'Astorga. Clorinda s'io t'amai. Excerpts] Gia libero gia sciolto (see RISM 455025978, 1.4.1)
- Creation: [1733-1765]
Language of Materials
13 songs in Italian and 2 in English
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. d.309].
MS. Mus. d.309
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12540
Not 14 (as written on the upper board), but 15 operatic arias and songs, mainly by G.F. Handel, [1733-1765]. They are predominantly in short score.
Other Finding Aids
RISM number: 1001026048
Previously owned (and possibly compiled) by John Woolfe (d. 1764?) of Haseley Court, Oxfordshire.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Simon Fleming, July 2017.
Oblong volume of music, bound in contemporary gilt-tooled leather. Upper board inscribed in black ink '14 Italian & English Songs'. Upper fly-leaf signed 'J. Woolfe 1736'. ii, 48 leaves (28-48 blank). The manuscript is written by three different hands: 1-8, 9-10 and 11-15.
- Catalogue of a collection of 18-century arias and songs, [1733-1765]
- Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description