Papers of the Warton family, collected in the late 19th century by the Rev. J. E. Millard of Basingstoke
MS. Don. c. 75
Held at the Weston Library
Papers of the Warton family, collected by the Rev. J. E. Millard of Basingstoke in the late, including:
- (fols. 4-8) four poems by Thomas Warton the elder, 1704, n.d.
- (fols. 13-15) two poems by Joseph Warton, 1740, n.d.
- (fols. 16-57) letters to and from Joseph Warton, c.1756-1800
- (fols. 61-70) five poems by Thomas Warton the younger, n.d., 1750, the first (fol. 61) endorsed by Jane Warton 'My dearest brother Thomas first verses he ever made'
- (fols. 71-84) letters to and from Thomas Warton, 1735, 1776-86
- (fols. 85-108) miscellaneous verse and letters by or concerning members of the family, 1745-1802. Verse in Crum.
- 19th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Don. c. 75, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Don. c. 75
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8267
Papers of the Warton family, collected by the Rev. J. E. Millard of Basingstoke in the late 19th century
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
Owned by J. E. Millard; sold to G. B. Lee, 1890.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought from N. H. Lee and given by the Friends of the Bodleian, 1954.
- Papers of the Warton family, collected by the Rev. J. E. Millard of Basingstoke in the late 19th century
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description