Volume containing various documents, 17th century
- (fols. 81-92) 'Acta habita et gesta coram delegatis Universitatis Oxon.', 25 Dec. 1655-23 March 1660, containing matter not in Oxford University Archives, Register of Convocation 1647-59, NEP Supra Register T
- (fols. 94-148) manuscript copies of the correspondence of George Digby, later 2nd Earl of Bristol, and Kenelm Digby, concerning religion, 1638-9 (published, London, 1651)
- (fols. 150-87) manuscript copy of 'A catt may look at a king' by Sir Anthony Welding [Weldon], 1652 (published, London, 1652)
- (fols. 189-237) a history of Henry II, possibly by Thomas Gordon, according to a note by M. J. Routh (fol. 188v).
(fols. 1-80) are blank.
- Creation: 17th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. hist. c. 310, fols. 1-2].
MS. Eng. hist. c. 310
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7404
Volume containing various documents, 17th century.
Biographical / Historical
George Digby, 1612-1677, 2nd Earl of Bristol, as an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1640 until 1641 when he was raised to the House of Lords. Kenelm Digby, 1603-1665, was an English courtier and diplomat. He was also a highly reputed natural philosopher, and astrologer. Sir Anthony Weldon, 1583–1648, was an English 17th century courtier and politician. Henry II, 1133-1189, ruled as King of England, Duke of Normandy and Aquitaine, Count of Anjou, Maine, and Nantes; at various times, he also partially controlled Scotland, Wales and the Duchy of Brittany.
Other Finding Aids
An item formerly fols. 1-43 in the volume, a record of the proceedings of the Royal Commission's visitation of the University of Oxford, 31 July-20 Aug. 1660, was given by F. J. Varley to the University Archives in 1945 (NEP Supra 42a, fols. 1-43). Item c owned by Anthony Farmer (17th cent.). The whole volume, Sotheby's, 5 July 1855 (M. J. Routh sale), lot 160.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by Mrs. F. J. Varley, 1949.
19th-cent. vellum binding
- Volume containing various documents, 17th century
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow.
- Language of description
- Script of description