Letters to Margaret (Marga) Deneke, mainly from Paul Wittgenstein
Held in our offsite storage facility
- 25 letters and 1 postcard from Paul Wittgenstein, 1930-1952, discussing concert engagements, books on music and politics.
- 2 letters from Marie Soldat-Roeger, 10 Nov 1946 and 16 Mar 1947
- 1 letter from Maria Koliska, 15 Nov 1946
- Printed brochure 'Paul Wittgenstein, pianoforte music for the left hand alone', including 'Some press notices of performances by Paul Wittgenstein', 1921-1929, with a photograph of the pianist.
- Newspaper cuttings: 'Piano wonder with one arm ... "Proms" honour"' ( Daily Express, 15 Aug 1932); ''Bernstein leads "Eroica"' symphony - Wittgenstein plays Ravel', a concert review by Irving Kolodin (15 Oct 1946?) and Obituary of Dr L. Wittgenstein ( The Times, 2 May 1951).
Language of Materials
Predominantly in English, with three letters in German.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 6862/1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 6862
24 letters mainly from Paul Wittgenstein to Marga Deneke, with some printed material related to the pianist, 1930-1952.
Biographical / Historical
The addressee of the letters is Margaret (Marga) Deneke, a musicologist, patron of music and friend of Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy's grandson, Paul Victor Mendelssohn Benecke whose biography she wrote. See also Who's Who. Most of the letters are from Paul Wittgenstein (1887-1961), a concert pianist for whom many composers wrote compositions for one hand. Further biographical details can be found at Oxford Music Online. Two letters were written by Marie Soldat-Roeger (1863-1955), a violin virtuoso who was discovered by Johannes Brahms and worked with Gustav Mahler. Her biography and repertoire together with evaluation of her contribution to the musical life in the 19th century can be found in the online Lexikon at Music Gender im Internet website.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Julia Rosenthal, November 2012.
- Catalogue of the letters to Margaret (Marga) Deneke, 1929-1952
- Finding aid prepared by Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description