Collection on the Council of Florence
MS. Gr. misc. c. 6
Collection on the Council of Florence, in Greek, written in Italy in the second half of the 16th century, by (fols. 1-5) [Em]Manuel Probatares and (fols. 7-122) Georgius Klontzas (Gamillscheg & Harlfinger, IA, p. 139, no. 254), comprising:
- (fols. 1-5) decree of union between the Greek and Roman churches, 6 July 1439, with (fols. 4v-5) the 'extrema sententia' of Joseph II, Patriach of Constantinople, in an abbreviated form, as given at the end of Fantinus Vallaresso's Libellus de ordine generalium conciliorum et unione Florentina (ed. B. Schultze, Concilium Florentinum, Documenta et Scriptores, Series B, vol. II, fasc. ii, Rome 1944, pp. 101-6);
- (fols. 7-122) [Josephus, Bishop of Methone, alias Johannes Plusiadenus], defence of the five points in the above decree, here erroneously ascribed to Gennadius II, Patriarch of Constantinople (Georgius Scholarius), as in the Rome edition of 1577, pp. 291-406 (source of J.-P. Migne, Patrologia graeca, 159 (1866), cols. 1109-1393), with corrections in a contemporary hand from the exemplar (see fol. 122).
- Second half of the 16th century
Language of Materials
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Gr. misc. c. 6, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Gr. misc. c. 6
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7401
Collection on the Council of Florence, in Greek, written in Italy in the second half of the 16th century.
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, no. 47385.
(fol. 122v) erased inscription, '... a 8 di [Mar]zo 16[8?]6 Dall' heredi del p ...'; Phillipps MS. 11871; Sotheby's, 1 Dec. 1947, part of lot 27.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought, Maggs, cat. 783 (1949), 232.
- See J.-P. Migne, Patrologia graeca, 159 (1866), cols. 1109-1393.
17th-18th cent. vellum binding, inscribed at foot of spine 'Cas. Stan. N. 6:' (18th cent.)
- Collection on the Council of Florence
- EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description