Ewelme Hospital Deeds
Forty deeds relating to Ewelme Hospital, including property in Buckinghamshire, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and Derbyshire.
Language of Materials
English and Latin
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Ch. Bucks. 1409].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Ch. Bucks. 1409-40; Derby 57; Hants. 189-93; Oxon. 4295; Wilts. 371
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7616
Biographical / Historical
The Ewelme Almshouse Charity was founded in 1437 when William de la Pole, Earl of Suffolk, founded an almshouse in Ewelme (Ewelme Hospital).
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library (MSS. D.D. Ewelme a. 1-8, b. 1-19, c. 1-170, d. 1-56, e. 1-4).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The deeds were given to the Library by Mrs Winifred Powell in 1950.
- Ewelme Hospital Deeds
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description