Skip to main content

Conservative Party Archive: London Unionist Members' Committee minutes

 Single Item

  • How to
    request
Comprises minutes from meetings of London Unionist Members' Committee

Dates

  • Feb 1906-Apr 1919

Extent

1 shelfmark

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Access

General access conditions apply to this material.

Preferred Citation

Oxford, Bodleian Libraries, Conservative Party Archive [followed by shelfmark, e.g. LUMC 1/1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.

Full range of shelfmarks:

LUMC 1/1

Collection ID (for staff)

CPA LUMC

Overview

Papers of the London Unionist Members' Committee, 1906-1919.

Biographical / Historical

Little is known of the origins of the London Unionist Members' Committee. The single volume of minutes of this committee which has survived is annotated 'Presented by Sir George Bull, Bt, December 1960.' Sir George Bull was the son of Sir William Bull, who as MP for Hammersmith (1900-1918) and then Hammersmith South (1918-1929) regularly attended its meetings, which was open to all London Conservative MPs and, during the Wartime coalition, also Liberal. Bull was elected Secretary and Treasurer of the committee on 26th February, 1906, and this is likely how the volume came to be in his possession.

The first minutes of this volume refer to the committee being re-constituted in February 1906, so it is likely that it was in existence well before this date. Although its terms of reference are not described, its purpose was clearly to discuss issues affecting the metropolis as a whole amongst those Conservative and Unionist Members who represented it. The committee also received deputations to hear grievances, for instance, a deputation of small munitions forms complaining that they faced bankcruptcy due to the failure of the Government to supply them with raw material, on 9th August, 1916. It met irregularly, with intervals of between several week and several months between meetings.

Custodial History

The Conservative Party Archive (CPA) was established as a source for academic study at the Bodleian Library in 1978 by an agreement made between the University of Oxford and the Conservative Party, and brought together surviving historic papers of the Party previously held in various locations including Newcastle University Library and the former Conservative Central Office in Smith Square, London. Since 1996, ownership and financial responsibility for the CPA has been vested in the Conservative Party Archive Trust. The CPA preserves the records of all three areas of Party organisation: parliamentary, voluntary and professional. It is recognised by the Conservative Party as the official repository for its historic records and those of affiliated organisations, and receives new material on a regular basis.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The Conservative Party.

Related Materials

The papers of the London Unionist Members' Committee represent part of the parliamentary party, the longest-established element of the Conservative Party with a history dating back to the 17th century. The parliamentary party is also represented in the CPA through the records of the following bodies:
  1. CPA 1922: 1922 Committee
  2. CPA WHIP: The Whip's Office
  3. CPA LCC: Leader's Consultative Committee (or Shadow Cabinet)
  4. CPA SUMC: Scottish Unionist Members' Committee
Title
Conservative Party Archive: London Unionist Members' Committee
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Jeremy McIlwaine
Date
2014
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom