Skip to main content

Conservative Party Archive: Unionist Agents' Superannuation Fund/Conservative Agents' Benevolent Association

 Collection

  • How to
    request
Comprises Conservative Agents' Benevolent Association (CABA), 1923-56 and Unionist Agents' Superannuation Fund (UASF), 1935-59.

Dates

  • 1923-59

Extent

34 shelfmarks

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Access

General access conditions apply. Unionist Agents' Superannuation Fund (CCO 6/2) is closed.

Preferred Citation

Oxford, Bodleian Libraries, Conservative Party Archive [followed by shelfmark, e.g. CCO 6/1/1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.

Full range of shelfmarks:

CCO 6/1-2

Collection ID (for staff)

CPA CCO 6

Overview

Papers of the Unionist Agents' Superannuation Fund and Conservative Agents' Benevolent Association, 1923-59

Biographical / Historical

The Conservative Central Office constitutes the main professional element of the Party. Its creation in 1870 marked the emergence of the modern Conservative Party, with a small core staff of professional, full-time employees, initially under the overall control of the Chief Whip but from 1911 a new Chairman of Party Organisation and Party Treasurer. The permanent head of Central Office for most of its existence was the Principal Agent, known from 1931 as the General Director. In 1966 the office of General Director was abolished, and the various departmental directors again became personally answerable to the Chairman and Deputy Chairman.

It is the function of Conservative Central Office 'to guide, inspire and co-ordinate the work of the party throughout the country, to advise and assist Constituency Associations and Area Councils and to provide such services as can best be organised centrally' (Maxwell Fyfe Report on Party Organisation, 1948). To that end it contains a large number of departments and sub-departments, each responsible for one or more aspects of party organisation. In 2004, Conservative Central Office was re-named Conservative Campaign Headquarters. No records of Conservative Central Office survive prior to 1911, and very little prior to the 1930s.

The organisation within Central Office has seen many alterations over the years, and departments and sections have appeared and disappeared in response to changing organisational emphases. Similarly the administrative system of records keeping has undergone a gradual change, as the central filing registry of the inter- and post-war years gave way to a departmentally orientated method of keeping files. This is the fifth of five series of registry files generated by Central Office which are held in the CPA and contains papers relating to the Unionist Agents' Superannuation Fund and the Conservative Agents' Benevolent Association.

Custodial History

The Conservative Party Archive (CPA) was established as a source for academic study at the Bodleian Library in 1978 by an agreement made between the University of Oxford and the Conservative Party, and brought together surviving historic papers of the Party previously held in various locations including Newcastle University Library and the former Conservative Central Office in Smith Square, London. Since 1996, ownership and financial responsibility for the CPA has been vested in the Conservative Party Archive Trust. The CPA preserves the records of all three areas of Party organisation: parliamentary, voluntary and professional. It is recognised by the Conservative Party as the official repository for its historic records and those of affiliated organisations, and receives new material on a regular basis.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The Conservative Party
Title
Conservative Party Archive: Unionist Agents' Superannuation Fund/Conservative Agents' Benevolent Association
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Emily Tarrant
Date
2004
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom