Copies of Beethoven's Letters
Facsimiles of Beethoven's letters, collected by Emily Anderson for her translation.
- 20th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Facs. a. 9].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Facs. a. 9, b. 58-9, c. 62, d. 153
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13558
Biographical / Historical
Emily Anderson (1891-1962) was a civil servant. She published a translation of The letters of Beethoven, in 3 vols, (1961). Details are given in Who Was Who.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was given to the Library in 1973.
Existence and Location of Copies
The originals are located as follows:
- MSS. Facs. a. 9 - Library of Congress and Bibliothèque du Conservatoire, Paris
- MSS. Facs. d. 153 - Deutsche Staatsbibliothek, Berlin
- MSS. Facs. b. 58-9, c. 62 - public and private ownership (places of origin are pencilled on the backs)
- Emily Anderson, The letters of Beethoven (London : Macmillan, 1961).
- Copies of Beethoven's Letters
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description