Biographical / Historical
On the 24th of May 1818, a Freemasons' meeting was held at Brasenose College to discuss the founding of an Oxford University Lodge. Having received the consent of the Vice Chancellor of the University, and successfully petitioning the Grand Master of England for permission, the Apollo Lodge, No. 711, held its first meeting on the 10th of Feb. 1819, and installed its first officers nine days later. The Lodge consists of past and present members of Oxford University, and in 1820 took the name Apollo University Lodge. The Lodge number also changed to No. 460 in 1832, and to its current number, No. 357, in 1863. Meetings were originally held in the Star Inn, but moved to a number of different premises, including the Angel Inn (1829), Alfred Street (1832), Frewin Court (1864), High Street (1926), and the Congregational Church School Room, Magdalen College, Randolph Hotel, and High Street during and following WWII, before settling in the current Freemasons' Hall located at 333 Banbury Road in 1961. The Lodge holds a number of regular and emergency meetings each year to conduct business, and in addition to these, the members also meet annually for balls and fêtes and anniversary festival meetings. The Lodge has had a number of distinguished members including Cecil Rhodes, Oscar Wilde, Prince Leopold, and Prince Albert Edward (later King Edward VII).