The Howard Gray Swann collection of Warton Family Papers
The papers include notebooks of Thomas Warton (1688-1745); correspondence and papers of Thomas Warton (1728-1790); correspondence and papers of Joseph Warton; family correspondence of the wife and daughter of Joseph Warton; and 18th- and 19th-century papers of other members of the Warton family.
- Creation: 1688-1864
1.43 Linear metres (13 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark, e.g. Dep. d. 483, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
Dep. b. 220-1, c. 547-50, d. 483-7, e. 245, f. 43
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12708
Papers of the Warton family, 1688-1864, including Thomas Warton (1688-1745), Joseph Warton (1722-1800), Thomas Warton (1728-1790).
Biographical / Historical
The members of the Warton family represented in this collection are Thomas Warton (1688-1745), professor of poetry at Oxford, 1718-28; and his two sons Joseph Warton (1722-1800), critic, and Thomas Warton (1728-1790), poet, antiquary and literary scholar. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Mrs Howard Gray Swann, who deposited the collection, is the ancestor of Joseph Warton's daughter Catherine Swann.
The papers were given to Trinity College, Oxford, by Mrs Howard Gray Swann.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Trinity College deposited the papers in the Bodleian in 1973.
- Morgan | Mary | 1758-1847 | nee Warton | Daughter of Joseph Warton (Person)
- Swan | Family (Family)
- Swann | John | fl 1848 | Poet (Person)
- Warton | Family (Family)
- Warton | Joseph | 1722-1800 | Critic (Person)
- Warton | Mary | d 1772 | nee Daman | Wife of Joseph Warton (Person)
- Warton | Thomas | 1688-1745 | Professor of Poetry (Person)
- Warton | Thomas | 1728-1790 | Poet, antiquary and literary Scholar (Person)
- Catalogue of the Howard Gray Swann Collection of Warton Family Papers, 1688-1864
- 1973, EAD version 2017
- Language of description
- Script of description