Archive of the Drummond-Hay family
The collection consists of:
- Papers of Sir Robert William Hay, 1805-52, including journals, correspondence, papers and drawings
- Papers of Edward William Auriol Drummond-Hay, 1829-45, including journals, correspondence, and notebooks
- Papers of Sir John Hay Drummond-Hay, 1838-1901, including journals, diaries and correspondence
- Papers of Sir Robert Hay Drummond-Hay, 1856-1924, including journals and correspondence
- Papers of Alice Emily Drummond-Hay, 1866-1938, including correspondence, a history of the Drummond-Hay family and translations of a novel
- Papers of Cicely Eleanor Meade-Waldo, 1856-1925, including journals, correspondence and notebooks
- Miscellaneous papers of the Drummond-Hay family, 1771-1951
6.82 Linear metres (62 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark, e.g. MS. Eng. hist. d. 488, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. hist. b. 239, c. 1072-91, d. 488-509, e. 345-71, f. 31-2, Photogr. c. 3
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12688
Papers of Sir Robert William Hay, Edward William Auriol Drummond-Hay, Sir John Hay Drummond-Hay, Sir Robert Hay Drummond-Hay, Alice Emily Drummond-Hay and Cicely Eleanor Meade-Waldo.
Biographical / Historical
The Drummond-Hay family consists of Sir Robert William Hay (1786-1861), Under Secretary of State for the Colonies; Edward William Auriol Drummond-Hay (1785-1845), Consul General in Tangier; Sir John Hay Drummond-Hay (1816-93), diplomat, Consul General and subsequently minister plenipotentiary in Morocco; Sir Robert Hay Drummond-Hay (1846-1936), diplomat at Tangier, Stockholm, Tunis and Beirut; Alice Emily Drummond-Hay (d 1940), daughter of Sir John Hay Drummond-Hay; and Cicely Eleanor Meade-Waldo (d 1935), niece of Sir John Hay Drummond-Hay. Details of Sir John Hay Drummond-Hay are given in the Dictionary of National Biography. Details of Sir Robert Hay Drummond-Hay are given in Who Was Who.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by Robert Drummond-Hay through the Colonial Records Project, Oct. 1980.
- 18th century
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Beirut (Lebanon)
- Diaries -- 19th century
- Diaries -- 20th century
- Diplomatic and consular service -- British
- Hay | Alice Emily | Drummond- | d 1940
- Hay | Edward William Auriol | Drummond- | 1785-1845 | Consul in Morocco
- Hay | Robert William | 1786-1861 | Under Secretary for Colonial Affairs
- Hay | Sir | John Hay | Drummond- | 1816-1893 | Knight | Diplomat
- Hay | Sir | Robert Hay | Drummond- | 1846-1926 | Knight | Diplomat
- Stockholm (Sweden)
- Tangier (Morocco)
- Tunis (Tunisia)
- Waldo | Cicely Eleanor | Meade- | d 1935
- Archive of the Drummond-Hay Family
- EAD version 2017
- Language of description