Archive of Herbert Henry Asquith, 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith
Correspondence and papers of Herbert Henry Asquith, mainly as Prime Minister, 1908-1916.
15.2 Linear metres (152 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
For conservation reasons, microfilms are to be consulted in place of the original papers.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Asquith 1, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Asquith 1-152
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12629
Correspondence and papers of Herbert Henry Asquith, Prime Minister 1908-1916.
Biographical / Historical
Herbert Henry Asquith, first earl of Oxford and Asquith (1852-1928) was a British politician and leader of the Liberal Party. He served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1908 to 1916.
The Miscellaneous letters and memoranda and Irish papers series are arranged by subject, based partly on an arrangement made while the papers were in the hands of the executors. Each group of papers is placed according to the date of the earliest document in it. Note that these are also letters in the miscellaneous correspondence (MSS. Asquith 9-18) relating in part to the subjects in the Miscellaneous letters and memoranda and Irish papers series.
The Asquith Papers were given to Balliol College, Oxford in 1941 by the literary executors of Lord Oxford and Asquith, the Hon. Arthur Asquith and Sir Maurice Bonham Carter.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Made over by Balliol College to the Bodleian Library in 1964.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Asquith | Herbert Henry | 1852-1928 | 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith | statesman
- Asquith | Margaret Emma Alice [Margot] | 1864-1945 | neé Tennant | Countess of Oxford and Asquith | political hostess and diarist
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1901-1936
- Liberal Party (Great Britain) -- History -- 19th century
- Liberal Party (Great Britain) -- History -- 20th century
- Prime ministers -- Great Britain -- Correspondence
- World War, 1914-1918
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Political aspects
- Catalogue of the archive of Herbert Henry Asquith, 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith, mainly 1892-1928
- Elizabeth Turner
- Language of description
- Conversion to EAD supported by the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation