Working papers of David Ayerst for his biography of J.L. Garvin
Working papers concerning Ayerst's biography of J.L. Garvin.
- Creation: [1894-1947], n.d.
0.45 Linear metres (3 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. c. 4825, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. c. 4825-4827
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7131
Undated working papers of David Ayerst (1904-1992), for his biography of J.L. Garvin, Garvin of the Observer (London & Dover, N.H., 1985). The collection contains material excluded from the published version, and some copies of original material, late 19th-early 20th cent.
Biographical / Historical
David Ayerst (fl 1971-1991) edited an anthology of Guardian writings, entitled The Guardian Omnibus, an anthology of 150 years of Guardian writing (London: 1971), to mark the newspaper's 150th anniversary. He also edited The Guardian Omnibus, 1821-1971 (London: 1973). James Garvin wrote for The Observer between 1907 and 1942. He was appointed editor in 1908.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library by David Ayerst in 1991.
- Ayerst | David | fl 1971-1991 | writer (Person)
- Garvin | James Louis | 1868-1947 | newspaper editor (Person)
- The Guardian, newspaper (Organisation)
- The Observer, newspaper (Organisation)
- Catalogue of working papers of David Ayerst for his biography of J.L. Garvin
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Conversion to EAD supported by the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.