Archive of Lloyd Arthur Stocken
The archive comprises research correspondence and papers concerning the development and testing of British Anti-Lewisite (BAL), and a memoir, 'A Chemist's Tale from the Second World War'.
0.3 Linear metres (2 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. c. 7203, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. c. 7203-7204
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 6037
Research correspondence and papers of Lloyd Arthur Stocken (1912-2008), biochemist, concerning the development and testing of British Anti-Lewisite (BAL).
Biographical / Historical
Lloyd Arthur Stocken (1912-2008), was a member of the Department of Biochemistry at Oxford which was asked in 1938 by the Chemical Defence Experimental Establishment at Porton Down (part of the Ministry of Supply's Chemical Defence Research Department from 1939) to study lewisite and mustard gas. Stocken, in conjuction with Robert Thompson, concentrated on lewisite, which had been developed, but not used, during World War I. Their research resulted in the production of British Anti-Lewisite (BAL) as a means of treating exposure to lewisite. From 1944, further research was conducted on behalf of a special BAL committee set up by the Medical Research Council to establish whether BAL could be used as a treatment in other cases of arsenical posioning. The Medical Research Council took over full superivsion for research from the Chemical Research Defence Department in 1946 (see MS. Eng. c. 7203, fols. 1-9).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by L.A. Stocken, Feb. 2005.
- 20th century
- Biological warfare -- Research -- Great Britain
- Medical Research Council
- Ministry of Supply | Chemical Defence Research Department | Chemical Defence Experimental Establishment, Porton Down
- Oxford University | Department of Biochemistry
- Stocken | Lloyd Arthur | b 1912 | biochemist
- Thompson | Robert Henry | 1912-1998 | biochemist
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Biological warfare
- Catalogue of the archive of Lloyd Arthur Stocken, 1940-55
- Finding aid prepared by Matthew Neely
- Language of description