Additional family papers of (Henry) Graham Pollard, bookseller and bibliographer
Correspondence and papers of the Pollard family, 1916-1959. Principally, letters from Graham Pollard to his parents whilst a schoolboy and letters from his grandparents to their son (A.F. Pollard) and daughter-in-law (Catherine Pollard).
0.45 Linear metres (3 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. c. 7187, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. c. 7187-7188, MS. Photogr. c. 185
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 15625
Family correspondence of (Henry) Graham Pollard (1903-1976), bookseller and bibliographer.
Biographical / Historical
Graham Pollard was born in Putney on 7 Mar 1903, the son of A.F. Pollard, historian and first director of the Institute of Historical Research, and of Catherine Susannah Lucy, daughter of William Lucy, director of the Oxford iron-working company of that name. From Willington Preparatory School, Putney, Pollard went to Shrewsbury School (1916-1920). He read history at Oxford, winning a scholarship to Jesus College in 1921, and became a partner in Birrell & Garnett in 1924. In the 1930s Pollard was on the board of Oxford Books on Bibliography and, after a short tenure of the special lectureship in the history of newspapers at the University of London, served in the Board of Trade from 1942 to 1959. After his retirement he resumed work on many bibliographical projects, including the medieval book trade in Oxford. For further details see Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by Dr David Butler, Nov 2003.
- 20th century
- Butler | Harold Edgeworth | 1878-1951 | classical scholar antiquary
- Pollard | Albert Frederick | 1869-1948 | constitutional historian
- Pollard | Catherine | née Lucy | d. 1934 | wife of A F Pollard
- Pollard | Emily | fl 1903-1915 | wife of Henry Hindes Pollard
- Pollard | Henry Graham | 1903-1976 | Bibliographer
- Pollard | Henry Hindes | fl 1885-1924 | pharmaceutical chemist
- Shrewsbury School | Shrewsbury | Shropshire
- Catalogue of additional family papers of (Henry) Graham Pollard, bookseller and Bibliographer, 1916-1959
- Finding aid prepared by Oliver House
- Language of description