Papers of Augustine Birrell as Chief Secretary for Ireland
The collection consists of correspondence, dated 1912-1916, and memoranda during Birrell's period of office as Chief Secretary for Ireland, 1907-1916. Some photographs of, and relating to, Birrell during and shortly after that period, were added.
0.66 Linear metres (6 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Papers formerly Dep. c. 299-303 with restricted access. Restrictions removed Sept. 2002.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. c. 7033, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. c. 7033-7037; MS. Photogr. 43
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 11870; 11901
Correspondence of Augustine Birrell (1850-1933) as Chief Secretary for Ireland, 1907-1916.
Biographical / Historical
Augustine Birrell (1850-1933) was a Liberal politician and an author. He held the post of Chief Secretary for Ireland, 1907-1916, resigning after the 1916 Easter Rising. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Papers deposited by Mr. J.C. Medley, 1969; given by his executors, 2002. Photographs donated by Susie Medley, 2015.
- 20th century
- Asquith | Herbert Henry | 1852-1928 | 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith | statesman
- Birrell | Augustine | 1850-1933 | author and statesman
- Ireland -- Politics and government -- 1910-1921
- Ireland | Chief Secretary's Office
- Nathan | Sir | Matthew | 1862-1939 | Knight | Lieutenant Colonel, Colonial Governor
- Catalogue of the papers of Augustine Birrell as Chief Secretary for Ireland, 1907-16
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Conversion to EAD supported by the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation