Archive of the Bishop Jewel Society, University of Oxford,
The archive comprises the society's Constitution (with drafts and amendments), AGM reports, minute books, financial documents, programmes of events and various correspondence.
0.7 Linear metre (5 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. c. 8388].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. c. 8988-8391, d. 4281
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12200
Together with printed material in the John Johnson collection at the Bodleian Library, the papers comprise the archive of the Oxford University Bishop Jewel Society active between 1947 and 1975.
Biographical / Historical
The Bishop Jewel Society (BJS) was established in 1947 to promote and propagate the theological principles of the Protestant Reformation amongst Anglican evangelical students at the University of Oxford. It drew its members mainly from the University's undergraduates and attracted speakers from Anglican theologians and clergy. It ceased its activities in 1975.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given on behalf of the Bishop Jewel Society, University of Oxford, in April 2016 by The Revd Dr Andrew Atherstone. The archive came to his possesion via The Revd John S. Reynolds (1919-2009), the Vice-President of the Society, whose intention it was to gift it to the Bodleian.
- Andrew Atherstone, 'Defending Reformation Anglicanism: The Bishop Jewel Society at Oxford University, 1947-1975,' in Defending the Faith: John Jewel and the Church of England (to be published in 2017 by the Truman State University Press).
- Catalogue of the archive of the Bishop Jewel Society, University of Oxford
- Finding aid prepared by Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description