Diaries of James Austin Roberts, Congregationalist minister, and diaries of members of his family
Diaries of James Austin Roberts, 1828-41, 1848-62 (with gaps), with diaries of Sarah Gilby Roberts, wife of J.A. Roberts, 1837-40, 1857-8, and Samuel Roberts (brother of J.A. Roberts), farmer, near Fairford, New Bedford, Massachusetts, 1842-5. Some volumes include a few memoranda and accounts. Bound in limp calf or (e. 1004, e. 1006-1007, e. 1009) marbled or plain wrappers.
1.8 Linear metres (18 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark, e.g. MS. Eng. misc. f. 596, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. e. 996-1009, f. 596-599
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12524
Diaries of James Austin Roberts (1795-1872), a Congregational minister, along with diaries of members of his family.
Biographical / Historical
James Austin Roberts (1795-1872) was a Congregational minister, in Wiltshire, 1828-32, in New York, 1832, and at New Bedford, Massachusetts, 1832-62.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The diaries were bought from Henry Bristow in 1979, cat. 255 (1979), 58.
- 19th century
- Congregationalists -- Clergy
- Congregationalists -- England -- Wiltshire
- Congregationalists -- Massachusetts
- Congregationalists -- New York
- Diaries -- 19th century
- Farmers -- Massachusetts
- Roberts | James Austin | 1795-1872 | Congregational minister
- Roberts | Samuel | fl 1842-1845 | farmer
- Roberts | Sarah Gilby | fl 1837-1858 | wife of J.A. Roberts
- Diaries of James Austin Roberts (1795-1872), Congregationalist minister and diaries of members of his family, 1828-1862
- EAD version 2017
- Language of description
- Script of description