Travel Journals of John Parkinson
Travel journals, 1780-94, of John Parkinson (1754-1840) in Switzerland, the West of England, the Netherlands, and on a 'Northern Tour', through Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Russia, Austria and Germany. Parts of the Russian journals (MSS. Eng. d. 2258-60, d. 2296-7) were printed in John Parkinson, A Tour of Russia, Siberia and the Crimea 1792-1794, ed. William Collier (London, 1971). There were in 1971 six volumes of the Northern Tour (Collier, p. xvi). The present location of vol. 1, and any after 7 (if such existed), is unknown; they were not included in the Sotheby sales in 1990 and 1991. The present location of two journals mentioned by Collier, p. 233, the Italian Tour, 1783-4, and 'the English Diary (1790 onwards with many gaps)' is also not known (though see 'related material' below). The journals are bound in half red calf, with marbled boards; loose papers are now MS. Eng. c. 2720, fols. 74-102.
1.3 Linear metres (13 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark, e.g. MS. Eng. e. 2422. fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. d. 2255-2262, d. 2296-2297, e. 2422-2424
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7011, 7136
Travel journals, 1780-94, of John Parkinson (1754-1840) in Switzerland, the West of England, the Netherlands, and on a 'Northern Tour', through Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Russia, Austria and Germany.
Biographical / Historical
John Parkinson (?1754-1840) was an Anglican clergyman.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Owned by Mrs. Robinson, 1971 (Collier, p. ix); bought, Sotheby's, 19 July 1990, lot 304, and given by the Friends of the Bodleian, and vols. 3 and 4 of the Northern Tour (MSS. Eng. d. 2296-7) bought, Sotheby's, 12 1991, lot 304, and given by Canadian Friends of the Bodleian.
- Travel Journals of John Parkinson, 1780-94
- 2003; revised 2009, 2011
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Conversion to EAD supported by the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation