Archive of J. W. Burgon, Dean of Chichester
Papers of J.W. Burgon, consisting of:
- Seven volumes of pamphlets stamped 'Miscell.' 1-7 'Burgon'.
- One volume of pamphlets lettered 'Schola Theologivae 1868. 1875.'.
- The Oxford diocesan conference; and romanizing with the Church of England. Two sermons.
- The new lectionary examined and The new lectionary. A sermon.
- Three volumes olumes of letters to Burgon on his appointment to the deanery of Chichester, 1875-6.
- Letters to Burgon concerning his protest against the nomination of Frederick Temple to the bishopric of Exeter, 1869-70.
1.54 Linear metres (14 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. th. d. 8, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. th. d. 8-21
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12842
Theological pamphlets and related correspondence of John William Burgon, Dean of Chichester (1813-88)
Biographical / Historical
John William Burgon (1813-88) was Dean of Chichester and an antiquary. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 46606-40619.
The papers passed from Burgon to his nephew W. F. Rose
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library by C. H. Rose in 1916
- Archive of J. W. Burgon, Dean of Chichester, 1838-82
- Finding aid prepared by Mary Clapinson
- 1991, EAD version 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description