Skip to main content

Records of the Oxford Medical Society

 Collection

  • How to
    request
Oxford Medico-Chirurgical Society: rules, c.1836; minute books, 1836-1876.

Horse Ambulance Fund: account book, 1885-1900.

Oxford Medical Society: constitution and council members, 1895-2003; minute books, 1892-2003; programme cards, 1895-2003; list of speakers, 1923-2003; financial records, 1978-2006; membership records, 1961-2005; attendance registers for GPs, 1973-1990; correspondence, 1927-2005.

Dates

  • 1836-2006

Extent

3.75 Linear metres (25 physical shelfmarks)

Language of Materials

English

Preferred Citation

Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio reference, if given, eg. Dep. d. 135, fol. 1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.

Full range of shelfmarks:

Dep. c. 1285-1291; d. 135-141, 305, 984-990; e. 47-48; f. 24

Collection ID (for staff)

CMD ID 6879, 6880

Overview

The records of the Oxford Medical Society, 1892-2006, and the records of an earlier society, the Oxford Medico-Chirurgical Society, 1836-1876.

Biographical / Historical

The Oxford Medico-Chirurgical Society was formed in 1836. Its members met in their own homes on a monthly basis for the purpose of sharing and disseminating the current medical literature. It is not known when the Society ceased to exist but it was certainly no longer in existence when the Oxford Medical Society was formed in 1892.

The Horse Ambulance Fund: an account book for the Horse Ambulance Fund, 1885-1900, was deposited with the records of the society but it does not seem to have any connection with the Oxford Medical Society or the Oxford Medico-Chirurgical Society.

The Oxford Medical Society was formed in 1892 so that medical practitioners in Oxford could meet to discuss cases or specimens and to listen to invited speakers. Sir Henry Wentworth Acland was the first president. It ceased to exist on 1st Dec. 2005, when it merged with Oxford Medical Alumni.

Arrangement

The records of the Oxford Medico-Chirurgical Society are listed first, followed by the Horse Ambulance Fund and then the records of the Oxford Medical Society.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Dep. d. 135-41, e. 47-8, f. 24 were deposited by P.D. Bedford, Honorary Secretary, 1959; Dep. d. 305 was deposited by A.W. Harley, 1969; Dep. c. 1285-91, d. 984-90 were deposited by A. Gatherer, 2012.
Title
Catalogue of the records of the Oxford Medical Society, 1836-2006
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by C. Parker
Date
2013
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom