Archive of Carlile Aylmer Macartney
Papers relating to Europe in the interwar period and during the Second World War. The majority of the papers relate to Hungary. The collection contains Macartney's and his colleagues' research papers relating to their work at the Intelligence Department of the League of Nations Union and at the Research Department of the Foreign Office, where Macartney worked in 1928-1936 and 1939-1946, and his correspondence and research material for his work as a historian. Many parts of the collection are in foreign languages, mainly French, German, Hungarian, and Romanian, with some papers (MS. Eng. c. 3309) relating to Scandinavian Socialists, partly in Danish and Swedish.
- Creation: 1895-1964
3.7 Linear metres (37 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
- Romanian; Moldavian; Moldovan
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. c. 3280, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. c. 3280-3316
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12510
Papers of Carlile Aylmer Macartney (1895-1978), historian and author, relating to Europe in the interwar period and during the Second World War.
Biographical / Historical
Carlile Aylmer Macartney (1895-1978) was a Research Fellow of All Souls College, 1936-1965 (Fellow Emeritus,1976), and an expert on Hungary and the Habsburg monarchy. He was employed by the international department of the League of Nations Union, 1928-1936, and was attached to the research department of the Foreign Office during the Second World War. For further details see the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
A further finding aid listing individual documents in the archive is available in the Library.
The papers were given by Macartney to the University of Lancaster, where a Central European institute was to be set up. As the planned institute did not materialise, St. Antony's College, Oxford, received the collection in 1968.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
St. Antony's gave the papers to the Bodleian Library with printed books from Macartney in 1982.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Europe, Central -- Economic conditions -- 20th century
- Europe, Central -- Foreign relations -- 20th century
- Europe, Central -- Politics and government -- 1918-1945
- Europe, Eastern -- Economic conditions -- 20th century
- Europe, Eastern -- Foreign relations -- 20th century
- Europe, Eastern -- Politics and government -- 1918-1945
- Hungary -- History -- 1918-1945
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Hungary
- Great Britain and Northern Ireland | Foreign Office (Organisation)
- League of Nations Union (Organisation)
- Macartney | Carlile Aylmer | 1895-1978 | Historian and Author (Person)
- Catalogue of the archive of Carlile Aylmer Macartney
- EAD version 2017
- Language of description
- Script of description