Bound collection of Poor Robin and Dade almanacks annotated by Frances Wolfreston
MS. Don. e. 246
19 issues of Poor Robin. An Almanack after a New Fashion (London, Printed for the Company of Stationers) covering the years 1666-79, 1690 and 1702-5 and one issue of Dade. Prognostication (London, Printed by T.J. for the Company of Stationers), 1693. The first dozen almanacks of Poor Robin (pseudonym of William Winstanley) come from the library of Frances Wolfreston and are annotated by her. The annotations include a list of plays she had lent to Robert Comarford, which extents the group of titles examined by Paul Morgan in The Library (1989). Other notes record (mainly family) births, baptisms, marriages and deaths. Wolfreston’s last entries are made in January 1677. Thereafter annotations continue in other hands, including that of her son Stanford. The volume has a book label of Robert Logan from Highgate and a biro inscription of [E?] Vimont from Croydon.
- (fols. 3-25) 1666, incomplete
- (fols. 26-50) 1667
- (fols. 51-74) 1668
- (fols. 75-98) 1669
- (fols. 99-122) 1670, including (fol. 122v) a list of plays Wolfreston lent to Robert Comarford
- (fols. 123-45) 1671, including (fol. 145v) a note about Wolfreston's siblings
- (fols. 146-69) 1672, including (fol. 162v) notes about Wolfreston's children
- (fols. 170-93) 1673
- (fols. 194-216) 1674
- (fols. 217-40) 1675
- (fols. 241-64) 1676
- (fols. 265-88) 1677, including (fol. 268v) Wolfreston’s last entries in the month of her death.
- (fols. 289-312) 1678
- (fols. 313-34) 1679, incomplete
- (fols. 335-58) 1702
- (fols. 359-82) 1703
- (fols. 383-406) 1704
- (fols. 407-30) 1705
- (fols. 431-54) 1690
- (fols. 455-66) Dade, 1693
- 1666-1679, 1690, 1693, 1702-1705
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Order as a book via SOLO.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Don. e. 246].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Don. e. 246
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 6595
Bound collection of Poor Robin and Dade almanacks annotated by Frances Wolfreston.
Biographical / Historical
Frances Wolfreston (1607-1677) was one of the very few known female book collectors. For further details see the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Christopher Edwards, 18 Mar. 2010 and given by the Friends of the Bodleian.
- Paul Morgan, ‘Frances Wolfreston and “Hor Bouks”: a seventeenth-century woman book-collector’ in The Library (1989), pp. 197-219.
- Paul Morgan, ‘Frances Wolfreston’ in The Library (1990), p. 56.
- Bound collection of Poor Robin and Dade almanacks annotated by Frances Wolfreston
- EAD version 2018
- Language of description