Manuscripts collected by the Institute of Agricultural Economics
Most of these manuscripts were collected by Dr. C.S. Orwin. They all relate to the practice of farming and many contain economic information.
- Creation: 1788-1929
2.0 Linear metres (22 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. c. 7120, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. b. 433, fols. 40-1, Eng. c. 7100, fols. 87-102, c. 7120-7123; Eng. d. 3609-3613; Eng. misc. b. 433, fols. 40-1; Top. Devon c. 24; Top. Devon e. 11; Top. Leics. c. 2-7; Top. Oxon. c. 884; Top. Scotland f. 1; Top. Yorks. e. 32
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12713
Farm accounts, tithe and enclosure awards, correspondence and diary entries, mostly unrelated, 1788-1929.
Biographical / Historical
The Oxford University Institute of Agricultural Economics was founded in 1913 and its first director was Dr. C.S. Orwin. The Institute achieved distinction for its work on British agricultural problems. In 1986 it was amalgamated with Queen Elizabeth House, the University of Oxford's Centre for Development Studies.
Most of the manuscripts were given to the Institute by Dr. C.S. Orwin.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited by the Institute of Agricultural Economics, 1971, and later converted to a gift.
Records relating to the Earl of Fortescue's Lincolnshire estates, 18th-20th cent., have been transferred to the Devon Record Office. Some printed material has been transferred to Rare Books, and printed ephemera to the John Johnson collection, 2003.
- University of Oxford | Institute of Agricultural Economics (Organisation)
- Catalogue of manuscripts collected by the Institute of Agricultural Economics, 1788-1929
- Finding aid prepared by C. Parker
- June 2003
- Language of description
- Script of description