Archive of Sir Jervoise Athelstane Baines, and his son-in-law, Philip Edward Percival
Official papers, printed pamphlets, personal letters and photographs of Jervoise Athelstane Baines, 1862-1925; photographs of Gervas Eyre, his brother-in-law, late 19th century; personal letters and photographs of Philip Edward Percival, 1895-1929, and photographs of Claud Percival, 1901-9.
- 1862-1929, n.d.
3.3 Linear metres (34 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. lett. c. 826, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lett. c. 826-831, d. 753, e. 213; Eng. misc. c. 1035-1039, d. 1447; Photogr. b. 38-50, c. 150, fols. 41-112, c.179-184
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 11223
Official papers, personal letters and photographs of Sir Jervoise Athelstane Baines, and his son-in-law, Philip Edward Percival, both of the Indian Civil Service, 1862-1929.
Biographical / Historical
Jervoise Athelstane Baines (1847-1925) joined the Indian Civil Service in 1870 and served for 25 years. He was an assistant collector, an educational inspector, the census commissioner, 1889-93, and Secretary to the Royal Commission on Opium, 1894-5. He married Constance Pyne in 1874 and they had two children, Sylvia and Cuthbert. In 1901, his daughter, Sylvia, married Philip Edward Percival (1872-1939), who was in the Bombay establishment of the Indian Civil Service. Percival served for 35 years in the Bombay presidency, chiefly in the Judicial Department.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited, 1967, and converted to a gift, 1987.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Africa -- Description and travel
- Baines | Family
- Baines | Sir | Jervoise Athelstane | 1847-1925 | Knight | Indian civil servant
- Eyre | Family
- Eyre | Gervas Selwyn | fl 1887-91 | Captain in the British army
- India -- Politics and government
- India | Civil Service
- Percival | Claud | fl 1901-9 | Major in the Rifle Brigade
- Percival | Family
- Percival | Philip Edward | 1872-1939 | Indian civil servant
- Catalogue of the archive of Sir Jervoise Athelstane Baines, and his son-in-law, Philip Edward Percival, 1862-1929
- Finding aid prepared by C. Parker
- Language of description
- Script of description