Papers of Dr Charlotte Petrie relating to her work as a librarian in West Africa
Papers of Dr Charlotte Petrie relating to her work as a librarian in Nigeria and Ghana comprising:
- typed diaries and notes describing her life, work and political events, 1957-1962, with reports on library services, her CV and an account of a library assistant's duties, c.1961-1970
- papers of the Nigerian Library Association Conference at Nsukka, Mar 1966, with photograph of delegates
- invitation cards, pamphlets, press cuttings and photographs of the West African Library Conference, Lagos, 1961, of library staff at Ahmadu Bello University, 1964, and of staff at the Geological Survey, Kaduna, 1966
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 11531].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 11531
Papers of Dr Charlotte Petrie relating to her work as a librarian in West Africa.
Biographical / Historical
Dr Charlotte Marion Petrie was born in 1903 and educated at the University of St Andrews, Newnham College, Cambridge, the University of Edinburgh and Melbourne University. She was librarian and editor at the Federal Department of Agricultural Research in Ibadan, Nigeria, 1957-1959, and then at the West African Building Research Institute in Accra, Ghana, 1959-1962. She returned to Nigeria as sub-librarian at the University of Lagos Medical School, 1962-1963, and at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, 1963-1964, and was then scientific officer and librarian at the Geological Survey of Nigeria in Kaduna, 1965-1966. Dr Petrie died in 1985.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Dr Petrie's daughter in December 2014.
- Papers of Dr Charlotte Petrie relating to her work as a librarian in West Africa
- Finding aid prepared by Lucy McCann
- Language of description