Undated holograph notes and jottings by A.W. Lawrence relating to his work on Herodotus
MS. Eng. c. 8261
Undated holograph notes and jottings by A.W. Lawrence relating to his work on Herodotus, with a few miscellaneous papers. Comprises:
- (fol. 1) an envelope labelled ‘HDT. Rough data for BOOKS III-IX Persians’
- (fols. 2-32) notes (fol. 32 possibly written by ‘The other Peggy’)
- (fol. 33) an incomplete, undated letter to Lawrence ‘from The other Peggy’, headed ‘Katydis / Gaza’
- (fols. 34-6) a photocopy of an obituary of Tressilian Charles Nicholas from The Cambridge Review, Jun 1990
- (fols. 37-44) photographs and cards, including (fol. 39) a postcard of La Citadelle de Janina
- (fols. 45-8) a letter to Peggy Guido (Cecily Margaret Piggott) from Edwin Wolff, 1990, enclosing photocopies of a letter from Woolff to The Times, 29 Aug 1990, a letter about T. E Lawrence from Robert Graves to The Times, Nov 1973, and an autograph letter to Woolff from Graves, .
- 1990, n.d.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. c. 8261].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Eng. c. 8261
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16097
Undated holograph notes and jottings by A.W. Lawrence relating to his work on Herodotus, with a few miscellaneous papers
Biographical / Historical
Arnold Walter Lawrence (1900-1991) was a professor in classical sculpture and architecture, and Fellow of the British Academy. He founded what later became the Ghana Museums and Monuments Board as well as the National Museum of Ghana.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by Peggy Guido, 1992.
- Undated holograph notes and jottings by A.W. Lawrence relating to his work on Herodotus
- Finding aid prepared by Original catalogue by Judith Priestman. EAD version by Harriet Costelloe
- Language of description