Letters to Charles Augustus Ellis, 6th Baron Howard de Walden
Letters to Charles Augustus Ellis, consisting of:
- Letters from Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, 1834-40, with one from Edward Henry Stanley, 15th Earl of Derby, 1867
- Letters from George Villiers, 4th Earl of Clarendon, 1842-5
2 shelfmarks (0.22 linear metres)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. lett. d. 42].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lett. d. 42, e. 3
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12930
Biographical / Historical
Charles Augustus Ellis, 6th Baron Howard de Walden (1799-1868) was minister and envoy at Lisbon. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 41603-4.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The letters were bought from Bernard Halliday in 1932.
- 19th century
- Ellis | Charles Augustus | 1799-1868 | 6th Baron Howard De Walden | diplomat
- Stanley | Edward Henry | 1826-1893 | 15th Earl of Derby | statesman
- Temple | Henry John | 1784-1865 | 3rd Viscount Palmerston | statesman
- Villiers | George William Frederick | 1800-1870 | 4th Earl of Clarendon | statesman
- Letters to Charles Augustus Ellis, 6th Baron Howard de Walden
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description