Papers of Strickland Gibson
Correspondence and papers of Strickland Gibson, consisting of:
- General correspondence, mainly relating to the Bodleian, 1897-1946
- Correspondence and papers of Gibson and John Johnson concerning a proposal to make the Arts End of the Old Bodleian into a reference library, 1937-9
- Letters to Gibson on the completion of fifty years' service in the Bodleian, 1941
- Correspondence with D.L. Murray, 1943-5
- Papers and letters concerning Gibson's university classes in bibliography, 1922-48
9 shelfmarks (0.99 linear metres)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. lett. c. 591].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lett. c. 591-6, d. 524-5; Eng. misc. c. 857
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13688
Biographical / Historical
Strickland Gibson (1877-1958), a member of the Bodleian staff from 1891, and Sub-Librarian 1931-45. Details are given in Who Was Who.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 41563-71.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library by Gibson, c. 1950.
- Papers of Strickland Gibson
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description