Papers of Robert Lowth, Bishop of London
Papers and correspondence of Robert Lowth, consisting of:
- Correspondence of Lowth, 1755-66
- Correspondence of Lowth and James Merrick, 1761-4
- Letters to Lowth, with drafts of some letters from him, 1729-85
- Notes and collations of Hebrew texts, mainly in Lowth's hand
- Miscellaneous papers, mainly by Lowth
- Miscellaneous historical and textual notes in English and Latin, some relating to Hebrew texts
- Documents conferring ecclesiastical appointments on Lowth, 1744-55, and on his son Robert, 1789, with deeds, 1702-94, and a will, 1768, relating to property in the Lowth family
7 shelfmarks (0.77 linear metres)
Language of Materials
English and Latin
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. lett. c. 572].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lett. c. 572-4; Eng. misc. c. 816-17, d. 1236; Eng. th. c. 94
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13195
Biographical / Historical
Robert Lowth (1710-87) was Bishop of London. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 41550-6.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were found in the Library in 1965.
- Papers of Robert Lowth, Bishop of London
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description