Papers of J.W. Hely-Hutchinson
Correspondence and papers of J.W. Hely-Hutchinson, consisting of:
- Correspondence relating to books, 1946-54
- Correspondence concerning Hely-Hutchinson's gifts and bequests of books to various institutions, mainly to Eton College, 1947-54
- Book bills and receipts, 1946-54
- Papers concerning book-collecting
- Notes and correspondence concerning bindings by Robert Dudley (16th century), with related photographs, 1949-54
- Card catalogue of Hely-Hutchinson's library
- Duplicated typescript copy of Hely-Hutchinson's 'Diary of a journey to India, Australia, New Zealand and the United States', 1938
18 shelfmarks (1.98 linear metres)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. lett. c. 502].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lett. c. 502-12; Eng. misc. b. 341, c. 757-61, d. 1183
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13744
Biographical / Historical
John Walter Hely-Hutchinson (1882-1955) was a book-collector.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 41439-56.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The provenance is unrecorded.
- 20th century
- Australia -- Description and travel
- Book collecting
- Diaries -- 20th century
- Dudley | Robert | fl. 1500-1599 | binder
- Hely-Hutchinson | John Walter | 1882-1955 | Bibliophile
- India -- Description and travel
- New Zealand -- Description and travel
- United States -- Description and travel
- Papers of J.W. Hely-Hutchinson
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description