A collection of official military and political letters and documents, mainly relating to the Civil War, Interregnum and Restoration
MS. Don. c. 184
- (fols. 25-6, 29-32, 51-60, 65-6, 71-2, 84-5, 88-91, 185, 210-11) letters to, and related papers of Capt. John Boys, Deputy Lieutenant of Kent, 1641-5
- (fols. 25-6, 29-32, 51-91 passim, 185, 210-17, 220-22) papers relating to the Civil War in Kent
- (fols. 29-30) account of battle of Turnham Green, 1642
- (fols. 33-216 passim) papers relating to the Civil War in Yorkshire, including papers relating to the Civil War service of Col. Christopher Copley in the Northern Association, and his subsequent petitions to Parliament, and to the Northern Association under the command of Ferdinando Fairfax, 2nd Baron Fairfax, 1642-5
- (fol. 78) list of slain, wounded or captured at the battle of Axminster, 1644
- (fols. 100-2) reports on the siege of Chester, Nov. 1645
- (fols. 109-121) papers relating to situation in Ireland, 1647-8
- (fols. 128-31) copy of report on the battle of Dunbar, 1650, by Oliver Cromwell
- (fols. 132-33) letters concerning Civil War in Scotland, Aug. 1651
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Don. c. 184, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Don. c. 184
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 14957
A collection of official military and political letters and documents, mainly relating to the Civil War, Interregnum and Restoration.
Owned by Henry Pelham Fiennes Pelham Clinton, 4th Duke of Newcastle; with bookplate of Fairfax of Cameron, and pencil shelfmarks, 573 c. 27 inside upper board, and C.2.S.1 12(5) on fol. 1; bought at Sotheby's, 15 Feb. 1938 (Clumber sale), lot 1159.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought Sotheby's, 14 Dec. 1993 (Fairfax sale), lot 423, and given by the Friends of the Bodleian.
Binding: brown calf, gilt, with gilt arms of 4th Duke of Newcastle on front board; bookplate of Fairfax of Cameron
- A collection of official military and political letters and documents, mainly relating to the Civil War, Interregnum and Restoration
- EAD version 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description