Parliamentary diary of George Strode, MP for Wareham, Dorset
Dep. e. 468
The diary is entitled by the author 'Certaine breife thinges wch I observed at the Parlam[en]t, when I was a Burgise for warum in Dors[e]t wch begann the 19 day of February... 1592 [O.S.] and ended the 10th of Aprill then next followinge...'. There are several indications of the author's religious viewpoint: the diary includes:
- (fols. 13v-15v) an outline of a speech intended to be delivered by Strode against the recusancy bill, in which he opposes the proposal to encompass protestant nonconformists within the penalties of the recusancy laws
- (fols. 16v-19) speech given by Strode for committing the recusancy bill, with report of his activities in a committee to amend the bill, where he expresses the opinion (fol. 18v) that Brownists should not be seen as being as dangerous as 'Papists', and incurs the wrath of Sir Robert Cecil (fol. 19)
- (fols. 20v-30r) detailed description of parliamentary procedure
- (fols. 30r-36r) description of the dissolution of the Parliament by the Queen
- (fols. 44v-41r rev.) text of a sermon, 'notes uppo[n] the xxv capter of the first of Samuell preached by Mr Egerton'
- Feb-Apr 1593
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. Dep. e. 468, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Dep. e. 468
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 14881
Parliamentary diary of George Strode, MP for Wareham, Dorset.
Biographical / Historical
George Strode (aft. 1563-1648) was the fifth son of John Strode of Parnham, Dorset and his first wife, Katherine. He was called to the bar in 1589 and spent most of his adult life in the Middle Temple. He was the member of parliament for Wareham, Dorset in 1593 and this was probably due to the patronage of his relatives, the Rogers family. See - History of Parliament, 1386-1820.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited with Dep. c. 9-11 (papers of Montagu Burrows) and MSS. D. D. Brocas a. 1, c. 1-2, by Ionë and Bernard A.B. Burrows, 1931. Removed from Dep. c. 11.
Stiffened vellum wrappers
- Parliamentary diary of George Strode, MP for Wareham, Dorset
- EAD version 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description