Additional deeds of the North family, relating to land and premises in Kirtling, Ashley and Silverley in Cambridgeshire
MS. North adds. c. 16
- (fol. 1) conveyance, in Latin, of land in Kirtling, Cambridgeshire from William Smyth to John Mayn and others, 
- (fol. 2) conveyance of house and land in Ashley, Cambridgeshire, from John Sache and John Collet to Dudley Lord North and his son, Sir Dudley North, 1640
- (fols. 3-4) two parts of the same conveyance, of two houses and land in Ashley and Silverley, Cambridgeshire, from Sir Roger North and his wife, Thomazine, to Dudley Lord North, for his lifetime, and then to Sir Dudley North and his wife, Anne, 1648
- (fol. 5) lease of a house and land in Harlow, Essex from Sir Francis North to his brother, Roger North, for 99 years or the life of Sir Francis North, in order to secure an annuity of £200, signed and sealed by Roger North, 13 Dec 1681
- (fols. 6-7) copy of the above lease (fol. 5) signed and sealed by Sir Francis North, together with a sale of the same lease from Roger North to Sir Francis North, for an annuity of £200, 13-14 Dec. 1681
- (fol. 8) release of the manors of Ashley and Silverley, the rectory of Silverley, the advowson and right of patronage of the rectory of Ashley and a farm called Canons in Ashley and Silverley, all in Cambridgeshire, from William Lord North to William East and Henry Cranston, in trust to effect a common recovery to bar all entails, 1700
- (fol. 9) lease (being the first part of a lease and release) of the parsonage of Kirtling, Cambridgeshire, for one year, from William Lord North to Sir Edward Northey and Anthony Guidott, 1705
- 15th-18th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. North adds. c. 16, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. North adds. c. 16
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12367
Additional deeds of the North family, relating to land and premises in Kirtling, Ashley and Silverley in Cambridgeshire, 15th-18th cent.
Biographical / Historical
North family, Barons North and Earls of Guilford. Their principal seat was Wroxton Abbey, Oxfordshire. The family included Francis North, 1st Earl of Guilford (1704-1790) and his son, Frederick, 2nd Earl of Guilford (1732-1792), better known as Lord North. Details of Francis and Frederick North are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Bought, H.T. Jantzen of East Grinstead, Sussex, c.1971.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by Peter Millard, through the Canadian Friends of the Bodleian, 1987.
- Additional deeds of the North family, relating to land and premises in Kirtling, Ashley and Silverley in Cambridgeshire
- EAD version 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description