Bagster family album
MS. Eng. c. 8374
An album of letters, memoirs, poems, riddles and sketches, written and drawn by members of the Bagster family of publishers, with a few items of printed ephemera. Most of the material was composed between 1813 and 1914, but a single letter of 1782 was transcribed in 1850. The album was possibly compiled by Jonathan Bagster (1813-1872), the younger son of Bagster & Sons. Including:
- (fols. 397-447) ‘Reminiscences of my Childhood’ by Catherine Shaw, Jonathan Bagster’s daughter
- (fols. 525-8) Bagster genealogies
- (fols. 529-32) a fair copy manuscript account of a ‘Visit from the Queen of England July 7 1877’ signed ‘M.E.B.’ [Mary Eunice Bagster, but not in her hand?], describing the occasion when Queen Victoria paid an unheralded visit to the 99-year-old matriarch, who died one day short of her 100th birthday. A rose from the Queen’s birthday bouquet is preserved at folio 480.
- (fols. 537-41) miscellaneous letters, 1833-1910
- (fols. 546-51) verses, 1893-1903, n.d.
- (fols. 552-5) a carbon typescript account of ‘A Lady’s Escape from Switzerland’, n.d.
- (fols. 556-63) printed ephemera, 1892-1912, n.d.
- (fols. 567-79) newspaper cuttings, 1881-1906, n.d.
- 1782-1914, n.d.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. c. 8374, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Eng. c. 8374
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12527
Bagster family album.
Biographical / Historical
Bagster & Sons was a publishing company founded by Samuel Bagster the elder (1772–1851).
The album originally contained documents loosely inserted throughout the body of the text, with many inserts between the upper and lower boards. The material at the front and back of the volume has been removed and placed in three fascicules as folios 525-79. Individual loose leaves have been left in place.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Blackwell’s Rare Books, 1 March 2016, from the Roy V. Sowers Fund.
- Bagster family album
- Finding aid prepared by Original catalogue by Judith Priestman. EAD version by Alice McDonald
- Language of description