Taylor Family Papers
Papers of Sir Henry Taylor and his family, consisting of:
- Correspondence, 1798-1890, including letters to and from Sir Henry Taylor and his wife, Theodosia Alicia; letters to Ida and Una Taylor; letters selected as autographs, probably by Ida Taylor
- Diaries and notebooks of Sir Henry Taylor, 1823-1870
- Literary and other papers, 1815-1895
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. lett. c. 1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lett. c. 1-4, d. 6-30; Eng. misc. d. 205-208, d. 210-212, e. 187-194, f. 56-58, g. 10-11; Eng. poet. c. 20, d. 38-39, f. 11; Eng. hist. e. 192; Autogr. d. 23
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13380
Biographical / Historical
The Taylor family includes Sir Henry Taylor (1800-1886), author, and his family. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 40693-747.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were bequeathed to the Library by Ida A.A. Taylor, daughter of Sir Henry, in 1930.
- Much of the material in Sir Henry's papers was used in his Autobiography (2 vols., privately printed, London, 1874 and 1877; published, London, 1885).
- A selection of the letters was edited by E. Dowden in Correspondence of Henry Taylor (London, 1888).
- Taylor Family Papers
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description
- Script of description