Papers of Joseph Wright
Papers of Joseph Wright, with some papers of his wife, Elizabeth Mary, including:
- Wright's English dialect dictionary (London & New York, 1896-1901) cut up and pasted into 30 volumes, with annotations and corrections by him
- Lists of subscribers to the dictionary
- Newspaper cuttings concerning the dictionary
- Drafts and manuscripts of various grammars
- Lectures, certificates, diplomas, correspondence and photographs
- Papers of Elizabeth Mary Wright, concerning 'Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight', c. 1896-1923, and Havelok the Dane, 1921-1922
- Letters to Mrs Wright, 1888-1934
Language of Materials
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- English, Middle (1100-1500)
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. lang. c. 12].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. lang. c. 12-14, d. 77-128, e. 13-15, f. 3; Eng. lett. c. 329, d. 347; Eng. misc. a. 15, b. 117(R), c. 566-567; Top. Oxon. b. 267
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13877, 13878
Biographical / Historical
Joseph Wright (1855-1930) was a philologist. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 40392-457.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were transferred from the Taylorian Library in 1972, except for MS. Eng. lang. c. 12 and MS. Eng. lett. c. 329, which were given to the Library in 1974.
- Papers of Joseph Wright
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description
- Script of description