Journal of a Rhodesian Pioneer; papers of the Manson Family
MSS. Afr. s. 2247
Journal of an unnnamed British pioneer's experiences in Mashonaland, Rhodesia, 1st August-8th November 1891; sketch of a boy feeding a bird, by Henry Justice Ford; letters, mainly to Mrs. Manson from her three sons, Ken, Will and Jack, 1906-1914; Manson family photographs, c1900, with later pictures taken by Will Manson on the Nile.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Afr. s. 2247].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MSS. Afr. s. 2247
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 3125
Biographical / Historical
The letters to Mrs. Manson of Arnewood House were written by her three sons, Ken, Will and Jack. Ken's letters were written while serving as a Medical Officer in Nigeria, 1913-1914, Will chiefly from the gunboat Sultan on the Nile, mainly between Khartoum and Roseires (Er Roseires), 1906-1908, and Jack from Liverpool and an office in Cairo, 1906-1907
Other Finding Aids
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were purchased by the library with Oxford Colonial Archive Project funds from Phillips Auctioneers on 13th November 1997.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- British South Africa Company Pioneer Corps
- Cairo (Egypt) -- Description and travel
- Manson | Ken | fl 1913-1914 | medical officer, Nigeria
- Manson | Will | fl 1906-1908 | river carrier, Sudan
- Manson | family | Arnewood House
- Nigeria -- Description and travel
- Nile River -- Description and travel
- Sudan -- Description and travel
- Zimbabwe -- Description and travel
- Zimbabwe -- History -- 19th century
- Journal of a Rhodesian Pioneer; papers of the Manson Family
- Paul Davidson
- Language of description